Special Exhibits Hall: Mrs. James Ward Thorne Memorial Wing
The Art Institute of Chicago: Inside-Out

The Art Institute of Chicago was founded in 1879 as the Chicago Academy of Fine Arts. In 1882, the name was changed to the Art Institute of Chicago. It first stood on the southwest corner of State and Monroe Streets as both a museum and school. The Art Institute officially opened on December 8, 1893.

Be sure to see the Mrs. James Ward Thorne miniature American rooms postcards from the 1940's. Also presented are modern color photographs of the same rooms with some rooms showing slight changes. Can you spot the rooms and items that have changed?


Clicking an image opens a full size picture in .png file format.

 Chicago Art Institute, Chicago - # 1564
Souvenir Post Card Co., New York, <Germany> - pm 1907

 Art Institute, Michigan Ave., Chicago - # C-50
Illustrated Post Card Co., N.Y. - pm 1908

Art Institute, Chicago - # 167
V.O. Hammon Pub. Co., Chicago

Art Institute, Chicago - #1827
V.O. Hammon Pub. Co., Chicago - pm 1912

Edward Kemeys Bronze Lion Facade, Art Institute, Chicago - #2242
V.O. Hammon Pub. Co., Chicago - pm 1915

The Art Institute and Ferguson Fountain, Chicago - #226
Max Rigot Selling Co.,, Chicago

Art Institute, Chicago - #226
A.C. Co., Chicago

Art Institute, Chicago - #112
Curt Teich & Co., Inc., Chicago

Michigan Avenue Looking North, Chicago - #182
Curt Teich & Co., Inc., Chicago

Art Institute Main Entrance, Chicago
Unknown Publisher

Prudential Building and Art Institute, Chicago - #CK-205
Aero Distributing Co., Inc., Chicago

Michigan Avenue Looking North, Chicago - #CK-143
Aero Distributing Co., Inc., Chicago

The Art Institute of Chicago - Stanley McCormick Court
Curteichcolor

Jonas Lie: "Afterglow" - Art Institute, Chicago
Unknown Publisher


The next series of postcards were published by the Art Institute of Chicago at different times. All of the postcard in this series measure 6" x 4 1/4", are unused and in mint condition.

A sculpture class at The School of The Art Institute of Chicago with a model wearing an Indian headdress and robe, ca.1890.

View of The Art Institute of Chicago looking north on Michigan Avenue, ca.1900.


View of a parade during World War I at the Art Institute of Chicago, Michigan Avenue entrance, ca.1917-18.

Archival Photo, Students Making a Mural, 1918.


View of The Art Institute of Chicago, Michigan Avenue entrance from the southwest, ca.1920.

Carl Miles, American (born Sweden), 1875-1955.
Triton Fountain, 1926, Bronze
Gift of a group of Americans of Swedish decent, 1930.
Archival photograph ca.1931


View from the north of the Roger McCormick Memorial Court within the Daniel F. and Ada L. Rice Building of The Art Institute of Chicago, 1988

Adler and Sullivan, (American, partnership 1883-1895).
Section of a Stencil from the face of the Main Ceiling Trusses of the Trading Room of the Chicago Stock Exchange Building; executed by Healy and Miller, 1893-1894.
Oil on canvas mounted on panel, 143.7 x 305.4 x 1 cm.
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Dubin. A major grant from Alyce H. De Costa made possible the reconstruction of the Chicago Stock Exchange Trading Room, 1971.

 


Adler and Sullivan, (American, partnership 1883-1895).
Chicago Stock Exchange Trading Room, (demolished, 1972), reconstruction in The Art Institute of Chicago.
The reconstruction and reinstallation of the Trading Room were made possible through a grant from the Walter E. Heller Foundation and its president, Mrs. Alyce H. De Costa, with additional gifts from the City of Chicago, Mrs. Eugene A. Davidson, The Graham Foundation for Advanced Studies in the Fine Arts, and Three Oaks Wrecking, 1971.

Adler and Sullivan, (American, partnership 1883-1895).
Entrance Arch from the Stock Exchange Building, 1893-94, reconstructed in the East Garden of the  he Art Institute of Chicago, 1976-77.
Terracotta.
Gift of the City of Chicago; the reconstruction of the arch was made possible through a grant from the Walter E. Heller Foundation and its president, Mrs. Alyce H. De Costa.


North Garden Looking South, 1991

North Garden Looking South, October 1991


Ryerson and Burnham Library after renovation, Spring 1995

 


END OF EXHIBIT

GO TO THE THORNE MINIATURE ROOMS EXHIBIT

 


  Legal Notices
  2007-2014 ChicagoPostcardMuseum.org. All rights reserved. Website by Gale Web Marketing